I have an idea to make cloud software update service for desktop apps.
Most of the apps require updates, and i don't know flexible update systems (If you know such solutions, please, let me know).
It consist of two parts:
Update client. Software component, that checks for updates (scheduled, on app start, etc), downloads them, and performs update. Update client is made as multiplatform SDK, that can be easily integrated into projects.
Update server. Holds updates on cloud storage. Has web-based UI, with access control, products/releases dashboard, and client update logs/reports.
Here are some features of it:
- SDK, that can be easily integrated to .Net/C++/Java apps.
- Customisable update client
- Differential updates. Update is binary diff. So, it 20 MB file has a few changes, will be downloaded a few bytes, instead of full 20 Mb file
- Client update logs and reports
- Multiple products and releases
- Update rollback
- Integrated with MS Visual Studio and Elipse
What do you think about it?
If you are interested in such service, please send me your comments and suggestions.
Andrey Moskvichev V.