|A brief overview of what I did first time around
1) I bought a domain name from ionos.com primarily to get a batch of personaliased email addresses
2) Further on down the line I wanted to test some of my API services in a realish world situation so I bought a VM from Linode.com and installed everything required
** I don't think I should have done the next step. **
3) I then changed the default ionos nameservers ( I must of read that I needed to do this ) to the linode ones in an effort to point my domain to the linode box ( I think this is what screwed my email and is totally unneccessary )
Today with help from you guys on here I have a better understanding of what I need to do
What I didn't realise was
1) When I bought the domain with the email package it didn't come with an A record because it didn't need one ( I also didn't know what an A record was ).
2) It came with MX records configured because it neded them.
3) I think by my changing the nameservers my email accounts could not receive email but could send.
Ok this is how I have my setup after all todays shenanigans
After todays education I've realised ( and done ) all I need to do is -
Get the public ip of my Linode box and put it in an A record on my ionos.com account.
The domain is found out in the wild and directed to my Linode box
My email now works
Happy days and thanks to you all
"We can't stop here - this is bat country" - Hunter S Thompson - RIP