I want to upgrade my programming skills but don't know where to go.
Programming is an important hobby for me and I also made some tools for my company and for me to facilitate my work and my other hobbies.
For decades I used Visual Basic in MS Visual Studio. The last years a also tried HTML, CSS, JS, PHP, Python, SQL. And a view months ago I changed from Visual Basic to C#. And I ask myself if I should leave MS.
What I need and want:
- Nice graphical user interfaces.
- At the moment preferred Windows desktop apps. Web apps only if they also can handle local data.
- Maybe Linux and/or mobiles in the farer future, never ever Apple.
- Local and server databases. (XML, SQLite; MySQL, ...)
- Graphics (photos, charts, simple games, ...).
What I think of different tools and languages:
- Visual Studio WinForms: Old, outdated but still not bad.
- Visual Studio WPF and UWP: Nice but also outdated, MS stopped them.
- Visual Studio ASP.NET: I never tried it.
- JS: Great but not for local data(bases) und code is readable for everyone.
- Python: Great but no nice GUIs and I don't know if the compiler is good.
- Java: I never tried it but I think it can do everything. What about GUIs? How difficult to learn?
So what do you think? What are your experiences? What can you recommend?