|Since this is a standard class project one would expect the teacher to cover all of this.
1. Learn basics of C (or C++)
2. Learn basics of compiling C.
3. Write a hello world program.
4. Learn how methods work. Write methods that add, subtract, etc, and nothing else.
Next steps depends on how the calculator works.
If a console
1. Learn about stdin and stdout
2. Learn how to run application to read keyboard input and output response
If a UI. This is MUCH harder than above.
1. Find a C UI library
2. Learn basics of that
3. Design calculator UI look.
4. Implement UI look
5. Learn how to tie the UI into C method calls.
Final step - Put all of the above together to build your app.